Community Parks and Recreation - Print
Dimensions: 10 × 7 × 1 in
Binding Type: Paperback
Community Parks & Recreation: An Introduction explores the history and philosophical foundations of public parks and recreation and provides practical strategies for administrative activities, planning, marketing, budgeting, engaging the public, and land acquisition. It also discusses program and service delivery in a variety of areas. The book seeks answers to these questions:
• What are the most important elements of a livable community?
• In what type of community would they like to live?
• How important is it to build social connections amongst family, friends, neighbors, colleagues, and others?
• How are such relationships developed and sustained?
• What types of organizations are more likely to create such opportunities for building one's social capital?
• What agencies in the community are concerned with addressing environmental degradation and on the flip side enhancing community beautification and greening?
Beyond higher education, the authors have served in professional organizations such as the World Leisure Organization. They also have experiences in community and youth recreation programs and program planning.
Part I: History and Philosophical Foundations of Public Parks and Recreation
Chapter 1: Introduction to Community Parks and Recreation
Chapter 2: History of Public Parks and Recreation
Chapter 3: Serving Diverse Communities and Populations
Chapter 4: Benefits and Impacts of Parks and Recreation
Part II: Managerial and Administrative Perspectives of Public Parks and Recreation Systems
Chapter 5: Organizational and Administrative Practices
Chapter 6: Planning for Parks and Recreation
Chapter 7: Social Marketing
Chapter 8: Budgeting and Financial Management for Parks and Recreation
Chapter 9: Boards and Commissions
Chapter 10: Engaging the Community
Chapter 11: Acquisition of Parks and Open Space
Part III: Public Sector Service Provision in Parks and Recreation
Chapter 12: Programming
Chapter 13: Services for Children and Youth
Chapter 14: Services for Adults and Seniors
Chapter 15: Event Management
Chapter 16: Community-Based Therapeutic Recreation/Inclusive Recreation
Chapter 17: Area and Facility Management
Chapter 18: Trends, Issues, and Opportunities